It’s that time of the year again – time for reflection and making goals for a better year. This past year has been a lot of “WTF am I doing?” and “Damn, I’m good!”
Some amazing things happened.
- I have made some wonderful new friends that are also on this entrepreneur journey.
- Thanks to The Rising Tide Society, I entered the world of Styled Shoots.
- Old friends supported me by asking me to make some great stuff for their wedding or home.
- I’ve met new people who wanted me to make them cool stuff for their wedding or home.
- I did my first chalkboard mural at Hummingbird Macaron and Desserts.
- I got my dream full-time job with the best co-workers.
- My hubby and I bought a house, and we got our first real family pet.
- We also successfully survived another year being parents, which is the hardest job in the world.
However, it wasn’t all sunshine-
- I was unsuccessful at my 12 ABCs, but learned that I really need to a better balance of this full time job, motherhood, and side-hustle thing.
- I did not get a lot of Etsy products happening, but thankfully it was because I was busy with client work.
- I’ve never had so little in my savings account, like ever. But, this has taught me that I need to budget better.
- Arik has been overwhelmingly difficult. It’s been tears over going to school, eating any meal, taking a bath, leaving the house in general, and going to sleep. I mean, whine is the kid’s second language.
- I got a bad review. This really bummed me out. I was so embarrassed, but I learned how to fix my mistakes and now I have the best method ever and will be making better product for next year. The client was extremely happy with my redo and have said she loves me again.
- I got extremely unmotivated to hustle. Life was so. damn. hard. All of my close friends are traveling, having fun, binging Netflix and I’m here with no money, a whiny kid who doesn’t want to go ANYWHERE, and no time to watch movies or read a book. So I did the best thing – I took a break. Sure, I had to turn down paid opportunities, but I wasn’t going to be making good stuff because I was in such a terrible mood. The break helped me to figure out where I want to go with this thing and reminded me why I’m doing all of this anyways. Which brings me to-
Next year is all about FOCUS.
It’s about focusing on one thing at a time. It’s about creating boundaries and setting up “Office Hours” and special hubby time. It’s about playing with Arik without worrying about missed work opportunities. It’s also about not feeling guilty when I can’t play with Arik all the time. It’s about focusing on where our money is going- do we really need to buy this and why. And, it’s about focusing on me – what I need and taking the time to take care of myself.
Sure, I know I’m still going to multitask at times. I know that I will answer that one question at work, when I really shouldn’t even be looking at my phone. But, I need to practice being intentional with my time more than I’m used to. So I can become a better mom, wife, and designer.
What are your goals for the new year?